Tuesday 19 April 2011

WebManga: Goblins

Goblins is a WebManga (meaning it has a storyline that continues across the whole of the comic) created by Tarol Hunt and Danielle Stephens. Based entirely in the world of Dungeons and Dragons, it has masses of insider jokes and very cleverly plays havoc with DnD's black and white view of morality.

Goblins follows the adventures of a group of goblins, who decide that they have had enough of watching parties of adventures attacking their villages and war camps. So to better protect their people, they throw tradition to the wind and take on adventurer levels.



This story is masterfully executed, with the standard DnD character races being almost exclusively evil from the viewpoint of the goblins and these strange moral choices mixed in with traditional DnD themes and humor makes for a really gripping read.

Goblins has an extensive archive, which really must be read through from the begining if you're going to have any idea of what's going on, but it's interesting to watch how Tarol's artistic style evolves over the course of the comic and there are enough gags and truly epic fight scenes to keep you entertained.

Tarol has a great grasp of his characters, the humor is smooth (if very niche to DnD) and I think he's got the best fight scenes that I've seen in any comic, not just in the online medium.

This is a brilliant comic, and I've added it to my regular reading list. I suggest you do the same.

-Odd

"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." Martin Luther King, Jr.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, great post dude. I have started reading this comic (at your recommendation) and I am loving every strip. Oresome. Hey, would you be adverse to me making a comic based on our necromunda campaign? (Once its running)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was considering it, actually... a RL mini-based online comic... as far as I know it would be unique... and I'm all for unique :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erm. What about giantip's erfworld, I think its based on warhammer. But ours will be better I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete