Friday 27 May 2011

Electronic contact

So my gorgeous girlfriend has been in Germany for two weeks, and has another there before she comes back to SA.

She left me behind to run off to Europe to expand her education through a studio for her new Urban Design course. If that sounded bitter, I appolgise, it wasn't supposed to. I'm fully behind her studying and it's Uber-cool that she could do some of the work overseas. It's really awesome :D ... but it does make my life harder.

All I can say is "Thank Tim Berners Lee for the internet!!!"... not solely the internet actually. I find myself very appreciative of the whole plethora modern communications technology. Without SMSs, GChat, Skype and Facebook, I think I'd be a gibbering wreck by now. As it is: I'm not wrecked (any more than before anyway) and there has been scaresly a gibber at all.

Electronic communication is no substitute for physical presence, but it certainly takes the edge off. I feel privileged to be able to make such mundane use of abilities that would have been the greatest of magical powers a century ago.

So the next time you're chatting to someone on the other side of the world, take a moment to appreciate what a truely massive accomlishment that is for the human race.

I miss you, gorgeous... and can't wait for your return: but you must have oodles of fun in Germany and tell me all about it when you get back.

-Odd

"Language... has created the word 'loneliness' to express the pain of being alone. And it has created the word 'solitude' to express the glory of being alone." - Paul Tillich

3 comments:

  1. "Any technology that is extremely advanced will be, in mans opinion, akin to magic" albert einstein. Or some thing like that. And, "the problem with quotes on the internet, is that there is no way to confirm their source" abraham lincoln. I must agree with you, not about tje gibbering though, I think it is truly phenomenal how I can maintain contact with my family all around the world instantaneously. And from my phone let alone. "is not all technology but another form of magic, bottled up into a device?" Simon repanis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol... Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the succinctness (succinctitude?) of that Paul Tillich quote. I am in awe of people who can master language to that extent.

    ReplyDelete