Tuesday 17 May 2011

Thoughts on democracy

So we've got our local government elections coming up tomorrow. Which is great because there's a possibility that together we can make a change for the better... and the fact that we get a public holiday doesn't hurt either.

I was chilling out with some friends yesterday and I made a comment about voting and one of the guys said that he isn't going to vote because he's protesting 'the system'. I had to restrain myself from strangling him on the spot...

I almost wasn't successful...

Give me a second to calm down...

...

...

...

Ok, I'm fine... Homicidal impulse controlled... nothing to see here... move along.

Sure, democracy isn't the perfect form of government... but it's the best we've got, and it only works if everyone participates. I think it was Alexis de Toqueville who said that we get the government we deserve and that really strikes a cord with me.

In a democratic system (even one like ours that is heavily weighted towards one party) the public are responsible for the people governing them and only though continuous pressure and engagement can we ever hope to improve the woeful governance we experience.

Personally, I'm hoping that the DA can take Joburg... or at least some the municipalities in Gauteng, but if they don't I'll go back next time and cast my vote again... in hope... and in the knowledge that if I don't, nothing will ever change.

And if you don't vote, you can't complain - about anything - period. If I hear you complaining and you didn't vote... I probably won't try to control my reaction.

-Odd

"A politician thinks of the next election. A statesman, of the next generation" -James Freeman Clarke

6 comments:

  1. My favorite part about voting is that the station I vote at doesnt have a queue....
    Literally 10 minutes from leaving the car to getting back in.
    Viva small election stations!!!
    Viva!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will have to agree with Ian about small voting stations , saves sooo much time to enjoy the day.
    Btw Odd who was 'your friend' that isn't voting ??
    I just wonder when will the sheeple open their eyes and see that they are being robbed ?? Until that happens viva banana republic viva and heaven help us if ever Juli-Ass runs the show here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you. Jabula is usually packed... I'm going to take a chair, some snacks and a book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the guys I play magic with on Monday nights and one of the Dev's at work, if you can believe that. I really don't know what to think, but it gets my blood boiling. Eish! Hyper-tenshun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said all, I am hoping to find a party that offer rebates when the systems aren't working, and services aren't being delivered, we do pay for essential services after all. Back to the hyper-ten-shin. Nothing grates me more than seeing muncipal budget being blown on repairing the damage caused by striking mucipal workers instead of much needed developments and upgrades, all the while my rubbish piles up outside my front door. And its coming out of my pocket, surely, when my power is out, or my garbage is standing, the local government should be refunding me for the services I haven't received. Wow, I should have saved this for a post election blog post of my own, I may just do that. Anyway, that's my bitching done, but I can, cause I vote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For the dude he said he was not going to vote in protest. In Oz, it is mandatory for all citizens to vote (and do jury duty). In order to protest one would need to spoil the ballot paper for what it is worth....

    ReplyDelete