Wednesday 9 May 2012

Avengers Assembled

It’s been a couple weeks now since The Avengers came out… so I think I've given you all enough time to go and see it, but in case you haven’t: SPOILER WARNING!!! If you do not want details on what happens in The Avengers, stop reading now and come back after you have seen it.

First off let me say that this is not a movie review. I’m not going to deconstruct it or make a recommendation, I’m going to tell you which bits I liked the most… and it’s difficult to do that because it is all full of awesome.

This movie was spectacular. Absolutely brilliant. It gave me everything I wanted and expected out of a The Avengers movie and if you stop to think about it, that is a massive achievement. I have been looking forward to this for a long time and hyping it up in my head to an absolute fever pitch. The fact that it delivered is almost miraculous.

My top 3 favorite things about The Avengers (in no particular order):

Avenger vs. Avenger fight scenes

I hadn’t thought about it going into the movie, but this is exactly what I wanted to see. Who would come out on top in a fight between Thor and Ironman? Or Captain America? There were a lot of these little team ups that gave me enough of a fight to excite while not definitively answering the question. That’s better because if it had then what would I discuss with my fellow geeks after the movie?

The Hulk

OMG! What a monster! This has to be the best that The Hulk has ever been portrayed in the movies. It must be quite hard for the screenplay to hit the right balance between the tragic nature of Bruce Banner and the awesomeness that is The Hulk smashing things. This movie pulls it off: I felt sorry for Banner while still thinking “man, it would be fun to be Hulk”. Mark Ruffalo is a new name to me… and he’s brilliant.

Joss Whedon: Nerd God

This movie is a great example of what can happen when you have a movie For Geeks, By Geeks. Joss is well known for his facility with an ensemble cast and this is no exception. Everything just works so well together, with the characters and the story constantly playing off one another. If I had to pick one highlight of this movie it is that Joss must now be the golden boy of the movie industry and if there was anyone who ever deserved to be handed a giant pile of money to make whatever he wanted it is Joss. I can’t wait to see what he does next.

 

So those are a few of my favorite bits of the movie… too many awesome moves and one-liners to relate… but you’ve seen the movie… so you know those too ^^.

-Odd

“I love fantasy. I love horror. I love musicals. Whatever doesn't really happen in life is what I'm interested in, as a way of commenting on everything that does happen in life, because ultimately the only thing I'm really interested in is people.” –Joss Whedon

No comments:

Post a Comment