Sunday 26 August 2012

The passing of a Hero


On Saturday (25 August 2012) we lost a hero. Neil Armstrong, the first man on to walk on the moon has died.

Some have equaled, but none have ever exceeded his triumph. He was probably the greatest explorer in human history and since we are a species that so craves exploration and honors that spirit, he was a paragon of humanity. He will be greatly missed by all.

I hope his passing serves to remind us all of what it is possible to achieve in this life. I also hope that it brings a revival of the idea of manned space exploration. In the modern era of cost-cutting and robotic exploration, I hope we do not lose the drive to visit the stars ourselves.

Thank you, Neil, for everything you showed us was possible.

-Odd

“It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.” -Neil Armstrong

No comments:

Post a Comment