Thursday 6 December 2012

MtG FNM Report - Izzet Combo

Yet another FNM report from Outer Limits. Last week I tried an Izzet combo deck... can you guess how that went? Anyway, here's the deck list:

Mainboard
Sideboard
4x Goblin Electromancer
4x Essence Scatter
4x Guttersnipe
4x Negate
4x Lobber Crew
4x Unsummon
3x Tandem Lookout
3x Think Twice
2x Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius

4x Mizzium Mortars

4x Cyclonic Rift

4x Inaction Injunction

4x Izzet Charm

3x Curiosity

2x Jace, Architect of Thought

2x Steam Vents

2x Izzet


I'm not sure if this really counts as combo but the whole plan is to use Gutter Snipe or Lobber Crew with a Tandem Lookout or Curiosity. This means that I get a metric ton of card advantage and cast spells till my opponent dies.



Sounds good, hey? ..... ya.... ummm.... you'll see what happened.

Round 1: 1-2 vs GW Human Agro
First game went perfectly. I hit my curve and managed to delay him until my card advantage just took me completely out of range. I got a little mana screwed in the second two games, but really I just got out aggro'd.

Round 2: Bye
I got the bye. Irritating, but it's the first time I've ever had the bye at Outer Limits... so I really shouldn't complain.

Round 3: 1-2 vs Mono Green
Managed to pull out the first game on 1 life which was exciting, but lost the second two games to aggro. The combination of Predator Ooze, Rancor and Silverheart leaves my poor little Izzet deck cold.

Round 4: 2-0 vs UW Flash
Hey hey! I won a match! once again against the UW flash deck. Azorius charm does nothing against my creatures unless I attack which gives me enough time to build up.

So overall not a great, one win out of 3 games. I think the problem with this deck is that it really suffers to aggro and has a lot of games where it just ends up doing nothing. So not the best build for an Izzet deck, but I have some thoughts for some other ones and I'll be trying those out in the weeks to come.

Next FNM I will be playing my Vampires again, partially because I need to find some cards for my next Izzet build but mostly because I want to be doing the beat down instead of the other way around for a change :)

-Odd

“He has no patience for minds that do not inspire him or explode by trying.” – Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius, Flavour Text

No comments:

Post a Comment