Monday 26 November 2012

MtG FNM Report - GU Defender Mill

Another FNM at Outer Limits last week. This time I decided to play something very different as I was getting a little bored of my Vampires week in and week out. So here's what I ended up running:

Mainboard
Sideboard
4x Gatecreeper Vine
4x Essence Scatter
4x Axebane Guardian
4x Negate
4x Doorkeeper

4x Fog Bank

4x Hover Barrier

4x Ludevic’s Test Subjects

2x Galvanic Alchemist

2x Jace, Architect of Thought

2x Inspiration

4x Increasing Confusion

4x Cyclonic Rift

11x Forrest

11x Island


So this deck is basically a really bad combo deck. Lots of defenders to mill with Doorkeeper and setup Axebane Guardian for a big Increasing Confusion. Fairly simple but very different from my aggro vampires. This deck even has an infinite mana combo with Axebane Guardian and Galvanic Alchemist.


I'd just like to point out that I have opened both my Jace's. I would never trade for this kind of card but it's worth so much that noone wants to trade it off of me, so I might as well play him.

Round 1: 2-0 vs UW Flash
Milled him out both games. Going into this tournament I was quite worried about the control match-up but it turns out that Increasing Confusion is very resilient to counter due to it's flashback and all his draw helps me mill. Great first match.

Round 2: 1-2 vs Golgari
Manged to mill him out in the first game but some unlucky land draws in the second and third coupled with a huge amount of destruction was just too much to overcome. This was a very strong opponent who eventually went on to win the night, so I'm not disappointed.

Round 3: 2-1 vs GWU tokens
Wow, the new Jace is absolutely crazy against a host of 1/1 tokens. Both my wins came due to flipping a Ludevic's Test Subjects and the one I lost was due to manascrew. Good performance.

Round 4: 0-2 vs 4 colour control
Let me start by saying that I really like this deck, it's just the sort of madness that I enjoy playing. Tons of board-sweep and cantrips make for a difficult game, but mainboard Elixir of Immortality and Laboratory freaking Maniac means that I never had a hope. Seriously. Laboratory god-damn Maniac. Jeez.



So I went 2-2 for the night and came in 5th. Not bad for an out of guild deck in this metagame. I was specifically impressed with Ludevic's Test Subject, after the opponent has seen them once they are a truly frightening drop :)



I had a ton of fun playing this. Even the games I won felt really stressful and close, which is a big change from my more point-and-shoot vampires. I think I will try a similar deck again once Gatecrash comes out and I can pick up some funny land and some useful spells from the Simic guild.

Next time I'll be trying out a Izzet build. So tune in next week to see how that went.
-Odd
"After several frustrating experiments, the visionary Ludevic realized he needed to create a monster that fed on torch-wielding mobs." -Ludevic's Abomination, flavour text

No comments:

Post a Comment