Monday 19 November 2012

Corporate Head Hunters

I get a couple calls a month from agencies trying to poach me from my current employer. I am not opposed to these calls even though I am not looking to change jobs. It's always nice to know that your skills are in demand. It's quite an ego boost actually.

What I don't understand is the way in which these agencies do it. I have yet to speak to one who would give me any sort of detail about the proposed job. Not who it's for. Not how much they'll pay. Nothing.


Now if I was looking for a job and had approached them then they have every right to be cagey with their information, they hold all the cards in that situation. But I am  not looking for a job. I am quite happy where I am and I am certainly not going to jump ship based on a vague promise of a job I know nothing about.

Does that approach ever work? I doubt it. If I was so unhappy with my employer that I would jump at any offer, then I would be searching for a job and the head hunter would be unnecessary.

Maybe one of my readers could explain this to me? I'm baffled.

-Odd
"If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable" -Lucius Annaeus Seneca

No comments:

Post a Comment