Saturday 2 March 2013

MtG FNM Report - Simic Aggro

Another Friday Night Magic event at Outerlimits. This time around I took along my Simic Aggro deck though I wasn't really expecting much. Here's the list:

Mainboard
Sideboard
4 Cloudfin Raptor
4 Spell Rupture
2 Experiment One
3 Crocanura
4 Shambleshark
2 Pit Fight
4 Elusive Krasis
4 Drakewing Krasis
4 Master Biomancer
2 Crowned Ceratok
2 Thragtusk
1 Rapid Hybridization
3 Farseek
4 Simic Charm
2 Cyclonic Rift
2 Urban Evolution
4 Breeding Pool
3 Hinterlan Harbor
8 Forest
9 Island
2 Hindervines
2 Hands of Binding
1 Mystic Genesis


The list is pretty simple, the plan is to curve out with evolve creatures and squash the opponent in the mid to late game. Cyclonic Rifts and Simic Charms provide some tempo and Farseeks to ramp. I wasn't sure of what to sideboard so I filled it out with a counter package and some miscellaneous removal and defensive effects.

Round 1: 0-2 vs Bant Control
Not much to say, just not fast enough to kill him before his control took out the game. Second round I managed to get him down to 1 life before Revelations took it away again. Sigh.

Round 2: 2-0 vs Werewolf Tribal
A lack of removal hampered this opponent and I managed to build up to two unstoppable forces. The second game I managed to have 3 Master Biomancers on the table, which lead to a 19/15 Thragtusk.

Round 3: 0-2 vs GW Flickers
The third round saw me paired up with my good friend Tim and his Conjurers Closet/Angel/Thragtusk deck. It's has some truely terrible lockouts with massive lifegain or Acidic Slimes. This Simic deck is just not quick enough to stomp things before they can lock me out of the game.

Round 4: 2-1 vs Orzhov/Enchantment Deck
Managed to grind out a 2-1 win over an Extort/Sphere of Safety deck. The first game finally ended when an overloaded Cyclonic Rift pushed the Sphere of Safety off of the board. I conceded the second game early from a slow start and bad position to give my self enough time to win the third game, which I was lucky enough to get a fast enough draw to finish quickly.

Round 5: 2-1 vs Izzet
Three really close games against an Izzet deck. Thragtusks were invaluable, but the counter sideboard is I think what did it in the end.

So I went 3-2 for the night. Which is not a terrible result. The big standout for me was Master Biomancer. He's a real beating and I'm looking forward to Cloning him a million times in my combo Simic Deck. I was also really impressed with Elusive Krasis as he preformed really well both defensively and aggressively  Mystic Genesis was also quite useful and I think I might take more advantage of it.




-Odd
"Nature is a wonderful engineer but works far too slowly for my tastes." -Master Biomancer flavour text.

No comments:

Post a Comment