Tuesday 5 March 2013

Necromunda RPG - The Rules

It is the 41st millennium. Humanity has spread through the stars but faces constant war against the aliens menace,  heretics and the forces of chaos. These concerns are nothing to the inhabitants of the Underhive on the hive world of Necromunda. Concepts of racial purity, politics and religion take a back seat to the daily fight for survival that is every inhabitant's birthright. 



I really enjoy the background, models, rules and overall feel of the Necromunda rule set by Games Workshop and for the longest time I've been telling my friends that I will run a Role-Playing Game based in the grim future of Warhammer 40k. Unexpectedly, I've actually done it. Here's how it works:



I decided early that I didn't want to mess with the basic mechanics of Necromunda too much. Firstly because they work really well, but mainly because I'm too lazy. So all the standard rules apply with the following exceptions:

Role-playing Skills: Players may use RP skills in addition to the standard Necromunda skills. These cover anything that they would want to do that isn't covered by the standard rules, so things like Lock Picking, Bluffing and that sort of thing. If they want to do an action like this, they just say so, roll a couple D6 and I tell them if they managed it or not. They can take these skills when leveling or earn them by performing that actions until I decide they've become proficient enough to get a bonus.

Gang Recruitment: Each of my Players get two basic gangers and 40 credits for each of them to but equipment. We decided on two because I can only really count on having two players and they're certainly going to need more bodies for the story line I have planned.

Injury Rolls: When a PC (Player Character) is injured the injury table works differently. A 1-2 will cause a flesh wound and 3-6 will be a Down result. I decided to remove the Out-of-Action option for PCs because I don't want players not able to play during any of the games.

Leveling Up: I decided to remove the random level up charts for my PCs. They level up whenever I tell them they to and can pick either an Ability point increase, a skill off any of the Necromunda tables or a RP skill. I've also added a skill to the Heavy table that allows a ganger to use a heavy weapon. I think this will work quite well as it should be fairly quick for the base gangers to evolve into something more characterful.

And that's about it. Everything else works exactly like a normal Necromunda campaign except that I'm providing the scenarios and playing the enemies. It's going to be lots of fun, and I'll be posting lots of "battle" reports with pictures and such. I hope you're looking forward to it as much as I am.

-Odd
"If your battle plan's working, it's probably a trap." -Kolton Phae, On Military Matters, 739 M41

No comments:

Post a Comment