Friday 28 August 2015

MTG FNM Report - More-Du Dragons

Once more, I ran back my Mardu Dragons deck for FNM, this time I played in the Dracoti Box Event at the Jozi Diner.

Here's what I played:

Mainboard
Sideboard
3x Thoughtseize
3x Wild Slash
2x Draconic Roar
3x Hero's Downfall
4x Crackling Doom
4x Seeker of the Way
2x Goblin Rabblemaster
2x Flamewake Phoenix
2x Butcher of the Horde
2x Outpost Siege
4x Thunderbreak Regent
3x Stormbreath Dragon
2x Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury
2x Haven of the Spirit Dragon
2x Mana Confluence
1x Nomad Outpost
1x Bloodstained Mire
1x Temple of Silence
1x Temple of Malice
1x Temple of Triumph
2x Caves of Koilos
3x Battlefield Forge
1x Urborg, Tomb of Yorgmoth
5x Mountain
3x Swamp
1x Plains
2x Crux of Fate
2x Utter End
2x Drown in Sorrow
2x Anger of the Gods
1x Goblin Rabblemaster
1x Thoughtseize
3x Read the Bones
2x Chandra, Pyromaster



As the Dracoti event is quite competitive, I decided to make my deck as consistent as possible by removing a lot of my one and two-of's. I was also expecting a bunch of red aggro decks, so I'm playing three Wild Slash in the mainboard. 


Round 1: 2-0 vs GW Aggro
I played against a fairly casual Green White aggressive deck. It was an unfortunate match-up for my opponent as I had more than enough removal to keep him down until my dragons could kill him in the mid to late game

Round 2: 0-2 vs Jeskai Dragons
Next, I played against a really sweet brew of Jeskai Dragons. I never really felt in a good position against this deck and the few times I did get ahead the combination of Soulfire Grandmaster and Draconic Roar easily brought my opponent back to enough life to stabalise. The fact that Ojutai's Command can return the Soulfire from the graveyard is also a beating. Overall I though I might have been able to win, but couldn't quite draw enough gas to overcome all his counters. 

Round 3: 0-2 vs Mardu Warriors
I feel really bad about this round. I made two really bad keeps of hands that were screaming out to be mulligan'd and didn't really play magic. That being said, my opponent played well and didn't give me any time to recover. Hopefully this will finally teach me to be more disciplined in the future. 

Round 4: 0-2 vs 'Thopters 
This is certainly a real deck (as if you hadn't figured that out from PT coverage). I didn't see my thoughtseizes or crackling dooms and got quickly put away with ensoul artifact. Ouch.

Round 5: 2-1 vs Mono-Black
I had fun in my last round and managed to claw back some self-respect against a cool grindy mono-black brew. Crackling doom was really great against Priest of the Blood Rite and the sideboard Anger of the Gods was super useful against Macabre Waltz.

So that was my five rounds and I went 2-3. Not the record I wanted, but I wasn't too disappointed. If I'd played better and been a little lucky I could have done miles better. I really do think it's time for me to switch up decks... if only for a change of pace. 

-Odd
"Never mistake deception for cleverness." Wild Slash, Flavour Text

No comments:

Post a Comment