Monday 3 August 2015

MtG Tournament Report - Madru Dragons

Once more, I took the Mardu Dragons list that I've been playing to Outer Limits in Melville. This time is was actually a Saturday as I was at The Doors on Friday. Here's the list I ran:

Mainboard
Sideboard
3x Thoughtseize
2x Valorous Stance
2x Ultimate Price
2x Draconic Roar
3x Hero's Downfall
3x Crackling Doom
1x Kolaghan's Command
4x Seeker of the Way
4x Goblin Rabblemaster
2x Butcher of the Horde
4x Thunderbreak Regent
3x Stormbreath Dragon
1x Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury
2x Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
2x Haven of the Spirit Dragon
3x Mana Confluence
4x Nomad Outpost
1x Bloodstained Mire
1x Temple of Silence
1x Temple of Malice
1x Temple of Triumph
2x Caves of Koilos
2x Battlefield Forge
1x Urborg, Tomb of Yorgmoth
4x Mountain
2x Swamp
1x Thoughtseize
1x Self-Inflicted Wound
1x Crackling Doom
2x Crux of Fate
2x Utter End
2x Mastery of the Unseen
2x Drown in Sorrow
2x Anger of the Gods
2x Lightning Strike


I've been super impressed by this deck the last few times I've played it. It reminds me a lot of the old Vampires deck I was playing at the end of Innistrad (when I came back to Standard play) in that it has tons of removal and nice evasive creatures to finish off the game quickly. 

Round 1: 2-0 vs GU Ramp
I played my first round against a fairly new player with a more or less casual GU ramp deck. This was a terrible match up for my opponent. Crackling Doom was amazing, and I could really just ignore the ramp creatures and remove the big threats. I drew only 5 non-land cards in game 2 and still won handily. 

Round 2: 1-2 vs GR Devotion
The first game ended quickly as  I ran over my opponent with Goblin Rabble Master and Butcher of the Horde. In the second game I managed to kill Dragonlord Atarka, but then died to the giant Genesis Hydra that he followed up with. Unfortunately, I mulliganed down to 5 in game three and couldn't find a third land.

Round 3: 0-2 vs Mardu Midrange
I got thumped by the old Mardu Midrange deck from Khans Block in round 3. My deck did what it wants to do, but my opponent played two Outpost Siege (the only two in his deck!) against me in both games and the card advantage was just way too much for me. 

Round 4: 2-1 vs Mardu Aggro 
My sideboard sweepers let me easily bring home the win against the aggressive mardu deck that was playing a ton of one and two drops. 

So I went 2-2 for the night... not the best result, but I had a lot of fun. I think I'm going to drop the two Sarkhan's for Outpost Siege. As I saw in round 3, with my deck looking to 1-for-1 for the majority of the game, the Siege is probably important to pull ahead in the mid to late game. 

-Odd
"Speed to strike, fury to smash." -Mardu Banner, flavour text

No comments:

Post a Comment