Monday 31 August 2015

MTG FNM Report - Temur Dragons

This week I threw together a Temur Dragons list and ended up at Outer Limits in Melville for Friday Night Magic. Here's what the deck looked like:

Mainboard
Sideboard
4x Elvish Mystic
3x Rattleclaw Mystic
1x Hangerback Walker
4x Frost Walker
4x Goblin Rabblemaster
4x Savage Knuckleblade
4x Thunderbreak Regent
2x Surrak, the Hunt Caller
3x Stormbreath Dragon
3x Sarkhan Unbroken
4x Crater's Claws
1x Treasure Cruise
4x Temple of Epiphany
2x Temple of Mystery
1x Temple of Abandon
3x Wooded Foothills
3x Shivan Reef
1x Yavimaya Coast
2x Mana Confluence
2x Haven of the Spirit Dragon
4x Forest
1x Mountain
4x Disdainful Stroke
3x Feed the Clan
3x Destructive Revelry
2x Anger of the Gods
2x Wild Slash
1x Treasure Cruise

The plan of this deck is straightforward: Play dudes and smash. It is mostly efficient creatures (many with haste) with a little ramp and a full four Crater's Claws to finish off an opponent who manages to stabalise. This deck is mostly an excuse to play my three Sarkhan Unbroken, who I like to call Sarkhan the Misnamed because he is fully broken. 

Round 1: 2-0 vs GW Aggro
I won the first game by drawing all three Sarkhans and while he could deal with the first two, the third one stuck and easily took over the game. I sideboarded out the Rabblemasters for burn in game two and ran over my opponent with Frostwalkers and Knuckleblades. 

Round 2: 2-0 vs Temur Midrange
The thought of a mirror match had not crossed my mind before starting the tournament, but that's what I ended up with in the second round. I was running dragons, while my opponent was fielding more of a ground force and the flying really won this round for me. I sideboarded out the Rabblemasters again, this time for Disdainful Strokes which managed to counter an Arbor Colossus that would otherwise have been a big problem. 

Round 3: 0-2 vs GB Elves
I hadn't seen anything like this deck before, and I didn't have a plan or an answer. It operated a lot like a combo deck, playing all the one drop mana elves into Collected Company or Chord of Calling into Shaman of the Pack for huge chunks of damage. I made a poor keep in game 1 and boarded out Frostwalkers for game two. It didn't really make any difference as my opponent went off long before I could put in under enough pressure. 

Round 4: 2-0 vs GW Manifest
My opponent didn't draw any of his Whisperwood Elementals and I managed to outrace him in the air thanks to my dragons. Managorger Hydra was frightening in game two though. I think my matchup is quite good against Green White as my creatures can mostly just attack through anything my opponent plays. 

So I went 3-1 on the night and got third, having only lost to the eventual winner of the tournament. I was mostly happy that the deck preformed as expected and it was great dun attacking in for massive damage. I only had to sideboard out the Forstwalkers once, so I think they're absolutely viable... the same cannot be said for the Rabblemasters. As much as it pains me, they seem to be poorly positioned in the current metagame and I will have to try out some alternatives in the next tournament. 

-Odd
"'As the clans carved out their territories, we saw allies where the Mardu saw only obstacles.' -Yasova Dragonclaw" Frostwalker, flavour text 

No comments:

Post a Comment